European Investment Bank 3
An area that supports any of the following features, and is needed to sustain them in a viable state: Highly threatened or unique ecosystem; Population of critically endangered, endangered or vulnerable species, as defined by the IUCN Red List of threatened species and in relevant national legislation; Population, range or distribution of endemic or restricted-range species, or highly distinctive assemblages of species; Habitat required for the survival of migratory species and/or congregatory species; Biodiversity and/or ecosystem with significant social, economic, or cultural importance to local communities and indigenous groups; Habitat of key scientific value and/or associated with key evolutionary processes.
European Bank of Reconstruction and Development 4
The most sensitive biodiversity features, which comprise one of the following: (i) highly threatened or unique ecosystems; (ii) habitats of significant importance to endangered or critically endangered species; (iii) habitats of significant importance to endemic or geographically restricted species; (iv) habitats supporting globally significant migratory or congregatory species; (v) areas associated with key evolutionary processes; or (vi) ecological functions that are vital to maintaining the viability of biodiversity features.
Inter-American Development Bank 5
Critical natural habitats are: (i) existing protected areas, areas officially proposed by governments for protection, or sites that maintain conditions that are vital for the viability of the aforementioned areas; and (ii) unprotected areas of known high conservation value.
Asian Development Bank 6
Critical habitat includes: areas with high biodiversity value, including habitat required for the survival of critically endangered or endangered species; areas having special significance for endemic or restricted-range species; sites that are critical for the survival of migratory species; areas supporting globally significant concentrations or numbers of individuals of congregatory species; areas with unique assemblages of species or that are associated with key evolutionary processes or provide key ecosystem services; and areas having biodiversity of significant social, economic, or cultural importance to local communities.
African Development Bank 7
Habitats that have high biodiversity value including: (i) habitats of significant importance to critically endangered and/or endangered species; (ii) habitats of significant importance to endemic and/or restricted-range species; (iii) habitats of significant importance to globally significant concentrations of migratory species and/or congregatory species; (iv) regionally significant and/or highly threatened or unique ecosystems; (v) areas that are associated with key evolutionary processes; and (vi) areas that are important to species that are vital to ecosystems, such as keystone species.
Map of likely and potential critical habitat on land and in the oceans derived from the Global Critical Habitat Screening Layer 8.
The Integrated Biodiversity Assessment Tool (IBAT): IBAT is a central database compiling relevant biodiversity data in an easy-to-use online decision-support and mapping tool. Companies can identify risks based on a consistent view of biodiversity, with data from the best available global data sets including Key Biodiversity Areas and legally protected areas. IBAT includes reports which support screening for critical habitat by different financial institutions.
Key research papers mapping critical habitat
- IFC (2012) Performance Standard 6: Biodiversity Conservation and Sustainable Management of Living Natural Resources. International Finance Corporation, Washington DC, U.S.A
- International Finance Corporation. (2018). Guidance Note 6: Biodiversity Conservation and Sustainable Management of Living Natural Resources. Washington DC, USA.
- European Investment Bank. (2018). European Investment Bank, Environmental and Social Standards. Luxembourg.
- European Bank of Reconstruction and Development. (2014). Environmental and Social Policy.
- Inter-American Development Bank. (2015). Guidance for Assessing and Managing Biodiversity Impacts and Risks in Inter-American Development Bank Supported Operations.
- Asian Development Bank. (2012). Environmental Safeguards. A Good Practice Sourcebook Draft Working Document.
- African Development Bank Group. (2012). Integrated Safeguards System Working Progress: Strategic choices made in the design of the Integrated Safeguard System.
- UNEP-WCMC. (2018). Global Critical Habitat Screening Layer
Download this factsheet as a PDF